The number of adult children assisting aging parents has more than tripled in the last 15 years. With that increase has come the added chance for misunderstandings and mistakes, which families will want to avoid before everyone’s wellbeing, relationships and finances are negatively affected.
That’s why there’s an urgent need for the advice of life transition coach Sheri Samotin, author of the critically-praised book FACING THE FINISH: A Road Map for Aging Parents and Adult Children. She’ll discuss on-air:
- Most older adults resist asking for help. What are YOU missing? Are you inadvertently sending the message my parents are a burden?
- The trouble with delaying family discussions about money, living arrangements, health care, wills, living wills and even household management.
- “Bridging the gulf” and taking charge without taking over.
You’ll also learn:
- Tips on handling daily activities which challenge people as they age: bills, the mail, working with doctors and tax preparers, shopping, driving.
- Creating a “little black book” with info and valuable documents needed when parents are unable to make their wishes known.
- Keeping older people independent as long as possible.
- A crisis is NOT the best time to explore an aged loved one’s situation. Neither is a holiday dinner or milestone birthday gathering.
CREDENTIALS: Sheri Samotin, founder of LifeBridge Solutions, LLC, is a sought-after speaker, columnist and advisor on family issues, medical advocacy, estate planning, money management, caregiving and services for the aging population. She has appeared on shows nationwide.
AVAILABILITY: California, nationwide by arrangement and via telephone
CONTACT: Sheri Samotin, (323) 452-2680 or (323) 452-2640 (CA); email@example.com; www.lifebridgesolutions.com